Horse rugs are primarily used to shield horses from different weather conditions and climates. The right rug choice will help to regulate your horse’s body temperature and maintain a healthy condition.
Horse rugs are designed to fit around the horses and still allow the horse to move about freely in the paddock. Most horse rugs have one or two chest straps that buckle in the front, with straps crossing underneath the belly to secure the rug they also have leg straps that loop lightly around the horse’s hind legs to prevent the rug from slipping sideways.
Buy Horse Rugs Online
At Horseland, you can shop for all your horse rugs and horse equipment online, or at one of our 51 locations, across Australia and our friendly trained staff will assist you with your purchase so you buy the right horse rug for your horse.
How To Choose For A Horse Rug
Choosing a horse rug is very important and there are many aspects to consider helping you make the right choice in a rug for your horse.
Here is a basic guide on choosing a horse rug:
Horseland has a range of different styles of horse rugs for you to choose from to keep your horse comfortable and happy protecting, your horse from the flies and the harsh weather elements.
There are many different styles of horse rugs for different kinds of weather and body types. As well as multiple additions, such as fly masks, hoods, neck rugs and tail bags.
Providing your horse with the best fit, comfort and protection is vital to your peace of mind
At Horseland we will also help you find the right brand, fabric and a rug suitable for your needs.
There are many types of horse rugs available, which include:
- Turnout rugs – A turnout rug will help protect your horse from harsh weather conditions such as the cold, rain, wind and snow keeping them warm and dry. There are various levels of protection and warmth available in a turnout rug and you should consider your own horses living and grazing conditions, your clipping routine, weight, age and exercise level before purchasing.
- Stable - Horses that are clipped and living indoors will benefit from a stable rug that will provide warmth to a horse that is unable to move around freely to generate their own body heat during colder months. Lightweight stable rugs can also be used to help keep horses clean that mainly live inside all year round.
- Cotton Sheets - Horses that are turned out in warmer weather will benefit from a summer sheet with UV protection. With a high cotton content, they are more naturally breathable to keep your horse cool in the sun and they also help to prevent coat fading, keeping it clean and dust free.
- Coolers & Fleece - Cooler rugs should be used after exercise when the horse’s body temperature has increased. Using a cooler rug will help regulate the horse’s temperature and prevent it from dropping too rapidly whilst he is cooling down.
- Mesh Rugs - Mesh rugs will help prevent horses from becoming irritated by flies and midges in the summer months when they are spending more time outdoors allowing them to relax and enjoy their grazing.
Whenever considering purchasing a horse rug you need to consider the following:
- Breed and Condition of your horse
- The weight of rug filling
- Fabric Strength
Measuring for your rug size
It is very important to ensure you have the correct size of rug for your horse. Each horse is different, and each style and type of rug fits differently. Therefore, before you start measuring rugs it is useful to take note of a rug you know fits well and look for rugs with a similar shape or features. If you not sure of the which rug to purchase for your horse, do not hesitate to ask one of our friendly staff members at one of our stores that is located conveniently to you. They will be able to assist you in your rug purchase.
We have a YouTube Video to show you how to measure your horse
With Horseland Online orders, we accept any of the following payment methods: Credit Cards (Visa and MasterCard), PayPal and ZipMoney for interest-free payment options.